Depending on who you ask, whoopie pies originated here in Central PA or somewhere in New England. But no matter where they came from, whoopie pies are one of the most popular sweet treats we sell at our general store in Central PA. Here are a few fun facts we’ve uncovered about these delicious desserts. And if you want to try some of the best whoopie pies in this area, visit our general store!
- Depending on where you live, whoopie pies go by several different names including “black moon,” “gob,” “bob” or “BFO.”
- Some people consider whoopie pies a cake, while others consider it a pie or a cookie.
- The whoopie pie is the official state treat of Maine, and the world’s largest whoopie pie was made in South Portland, Maine, in 2011. It weighed in at a whopping 1,062 pounds!
- Three states in particular claim to be the birthplace of the whoopie pie: Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Maine.
- In Pennsylvania, the whoopie pie has roots in the Pennsylvania Dutch culture. The recipe for it has been handed down from generation to generation.
- It is said that the name stems from when Amish women would pack these desserts in their husband’s lunches. When the husbands would open them and see the treat, they would yell, “Whoopie!”
- Our general store sells several different varieties of these pies on a daily basis, and there is a whoopie pie out there for everyone, no matter what your preference. You can find them with peanut butter, pumpkin, gingerbread or chocolate icing, and there are probably even more flavors out there than those!
- The popularity of whoopie pies continues to grow. You can find variations of them all over the country now: from large supermarkets to smaller bakeries and general stores like ours.
- No matter where these delicious baked goods came from, we at Hilsher’s General Store think that they are one of the best sweet treats out there, especially the ones that are served up fresh in our bakery.
We hope you learned a few new things about whoopie pies! And if you want to buy some, visit our general store.
Are you interested in visiting our general store in Central PA to try some of our tasty whoopie pies? Call Hilsher’s General Store at 570-374-1550, visit us on Routes 11/15 seven miles south of Selinsgrove or Contact Us.